Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Over whelmed and don't know how to get help for depression

I realize I am in a very low part of my life. I have never been very happy with my life to start. Currently I just fiunished adivorce and don't know where to start. I would not have a problem if my life ended today and would be thrilled if it did. I welcome a heart attech with open arms. Then I would smile.

I don't know where to turn and have limited access to health care. I don't have any energy or drive and am watching everything go by. I don't like to get up in the morning and stay inside basically doing not a whole lot of anything.

Just falling apart.
What to do
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Experienced User
I have been in the exact place that you describe. Many times I have not wanted to get up in the morning as it all just seemed too hard and not worth the effort. I have been very lucky to have the support of an extremely helpful and caring doctor who diagnosed depression and put me on medication that has had to be tweaked over the years to keep this horrible condition under control. The doctor also talks to me often and gives me the sense that I am not alone in this and that helps more than I can say. I am fortunate to live in a country where doctors can choose to bulk bill the government for patients so this help has not cost me anything except for the medication. When I have needed more help than my GP can give me (as she is very busy} she has referred me to counselling that is of no cost to me. I see these two things as my safety net. When I start feeling really low, usually as a result of some event in my life, I know that I can talk about it to an impartial person and get some outside perspective as well as advice and encouragement. I am trying to regain some health and energy by beginning an exercise program - something I would never once have considered doing. I go to a program called "Curves" which is just for women and is a whole lot of fun. After just a couple of weeks I am already looking more alive and feeling alive also. The other big help in my life is my very good friend. When I am at my worst she rings me mid-morning and talks for a while. Then she asks if I am in bed. If I say yes she tells me firmly to get out of bed and eat something. Sure sometimes I have gone back to sleep after she rings off, but often it has been enough to make me drag myself out of bed. She is always telling me off, but it makes me feel good, because I know that she cares enough about me to do it. So basically, what I am saying to you is that you need support urgently. It took me years to find this kind of help. Most of the doctors I saw in the past couldn't care less how I felt but it wasn't until my separation and subsequent divorce that the help found me. You need a caring doctor. That's a must. And if you have a good friend that is willing to help you that would be wonderful. Now comes the hard part. YOU have to put in some hard effort too. I know you don't want to and couldn't care less, but you HAVE to try. You have to force yourself to do things even when it's too hard. For instance arrange to go to the movies with a friend, so you'll have to go. Involve yourself in some activities even if you don't want to make the effort. Perhaps some kind of self-help classes would be good. Anything that will get you out of the house and involved with life. You'll still stay in bed some days because you won't get past this straight away, but you should have some good days, and this combined with medication and the support of friends and professionals should see you beginning to feel better. You need to make yourself a priority. Make a schedule where you eat good meals regularly, get enough sleep and give yourself the time to discover exactly who you are and what you want to do with your life. During a marriage, many of us lose a sense of who we are and when we come out of the marriage we have the opportunity to reclaim who we really are. This can be a very exciting and rewarding opportunity. But you need to get well first, so please see your doctor and the rest will follow. My very best wishes and luck to you. You have taken the first step by acknowledging your problem and asking for help here. Now it is time to take the next step.
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Supporter
you might be feeling down b/c you just got divorced. i am the queen of depression. one thing i force myself to do is think positive, and never feel like i m hopeless, always try to have a solution to my problems.
i m not working right now, so i feel bad, and it's not good staying around the house all the time while your depressed, b/c your thoughts gets the best of you.

you can pull yourself out of this, i have. i m going to private message you some information.
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These feelings are suggestive of severe depression. Its better to consult your healthcare provider.
You can start antidepressant like sertraline in 50mg daily dose. Do regular exercise and yoga.
Avoid loneliness. Keep yourselves engage in some useful activities
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.