Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

ovarian cysts fibroids is it life threatening?

Hi I had a sonogram (pelvic) done and my GYN is away - note that I have an IUD (mirena - which showed to be low lying in the cervical canal). It came back stating that my left ovary is not visible, there is a 9x8.4x7.1 cm left adnexal cystic lesion with homogeneous internal echos, which may be representative of an endometrioma, hemorrhagic cyst of manifestations of PID, less likely neoplasm.

It also stated: Heterogeneous fibroid uterus, largest fibroid is 1.1cm posterior intramural.

The results for my right ovary states:
that my uterus is normal in size but anteverted, heterogeneous tissue echopattern. There is a posterior intramural fibroid measuring 1.1x1.1x.9cm

Endometrial complex: .4cm in size, echopattern - normal - no evidence of abnormal endometrial thickness
Cervix - normal

Cudesac: no sig. free fluid within

right ovary normal : 3.6x2.7x2.2cm

I looked up the majority of it, and made some sense of it all. My question: is it life threatening? Should I go to the ER - I am not scheduled to see my Doc for a few weeks (he is out of the office), i am also scheduled to be out of the country (last week of july though the first week of august). Should/can this be taken care of before I go, or can I wait until I get back?

Thank you for your help!

-Nadia
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 1st, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
Based on my knowledge and experience, the only thing that sounds concerning is the size of the ovarian cyst (9cm). At least it sounds like the cyst is not suspicious looking. But when they get too large they can cause the ovary to twist on itself (ovarian torsion) which can be extremely painful and can cause the ovary to die.
|

replied July 1st, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
Oops - I meant to add that the fibroid should not be a concern. Those are very common and are benign. Of course, if it is causing heavy bleeding, there are medications to treat the bleeding.
|
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....