User Profile
I’m currently dealing with an almost 4 cm cyst on my left ovary that’s causing me s lot of pain. Let me start from the beginning—-In May 2017, I visited the doctor for what I was convinced was a UTI. All of the tests came back negative and l, given the pain I was experiencing, they sent me to the ER for a CT scan to see if I had a kidney stone. I didn’t, but they found a cyst that was slightly over 2 cm on my left ovary. They told me it should resolve itself in a few months and to check in with my ob/gyn in a few months. Well, my job situation changed and I lost my insurance, so I never went in for a follow up ultrasound. I only had minor twinges ofboain from time to time, but my periods became more painful and slightly irregular. I have PMDD and those symptoms worsened at all. Suddenly, the birth control I had been using for a year to successfully treat my PMDD no longer worked, but it actually made my emotional symptoms far worse!
Flash forward to a few months ago, and I was in the ER again. They did a CT scan and an ultrasound. They determined that the cyst was still at the same location and slightly larger, but once again, they told me to check in with my ob/gyn.
Well, to make a long story somewhat short, the ob/gyn didn’t take it seriously and told me that my cyst couldn’t be causing me pain. She told me to just take ibuprofen and she refused to even give me a doctors excuse for a day I missed due to the pain. I felt devastated and completely invalidated, as if my pain is all in my head. Two weeks ago, I woke up at 4 in the morning with the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. I couldn’t even bend over to tie my shoes, and I couldn’t put any weight in the left side of my body. Just sitting down was excruciating and I was afraid we’d have to call an ambulance because I wouldn’t be able to walk. I also felt like I was going to vomit the entire time. I thought for sure the cyst had ruptured, but the sharp pain subsided a few hours later and became a more dull, chronic home son. as long as I didn’t move in certain ways, it wasn’t bad. An ultrasound revealed that the cyst was still there, but it had grown bigger in a few months and is now 3 cm. They sent me home with pain meds and I have an appointment set up with a new ob/gyn. I have dull pain every day that’s aggravated when I move certain ways and sleep in certain positions. It feels like something is pressing hard into my hip bone and the pain shoots down my leg.
I’ve been very depressed and anxious about this issue and could use some advice and support. The cause of my severe pain that day was never explained to me. Is it possible for an ovary to twist and untwist on its own? It’s the only explanation I can think of.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
There are instances of bleeding after menopause and really this is not so rare.But the fact is bleeding after menopause need to be screened out for any underlying problems.That is the recommendation.So,you need to be tested by your doctor for this. Apart from a clinical testing,you might need few blood tests along with a sonography of lower abdomen to rule out any pathology inside.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.