Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Ovarian / Cervical Cancer ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hi, im 27 years old. 10 years ago i was diagnosed with endometriosis and have had 3 operations to remove it, on the last op in march 2007 the sergeon noticed that my cervix didnt look right so he took a biopsy and treated it with dyathermy, the results of the biopsy said i had cin 1 (i had had a previous smear about 8 months prior-clear), i then had a colposcopy and another biopsy taken which was clear. The reason i am feeling a little nervious now is that i have a few symptoms that are worrying me-
Bloated tummy
Feeling full
need to pee alot
loss of apitite
preasure in my pelvis and pain in my lower abdomen around my cervical area

I have always had irregular/heavy periods bleeding inbetween periods (due to the endo) but never experienced this before. I wents to the doctors last week who thought i may have a urine infection, results have come back negative, so she has booked me in for an emergency smear tomorrow!.

So i was just wondering what you all think? and am i worrying for nothing?( i havent told my doctor all the above symptoms yet)

Thanx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 16th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
What symptoms did you tell her you were experiencing to cause her to book you for an emergency smear?

When was your last smear/colposcopy?

It doesn't sound like cervical cancer from your symptoms.
|

It was just she said last week that if it wasnt a urine infection then she would do a smear as i have had pre cancerous cell before, she called me to let me know and said she would rather do it sooner rather that later, so im not sure.I didnt tell her about the weight loss, needing to pee more and loss of apitite.

My last smear was in march 08, and the colposcopy was in sep 07.

I forgot to mention i also have lost weight and cant eat very much before feeling full.

Thanx for your reply so soon.xx
|

Especially eHealthy
Definitely mention all your recent symptoms - but they do not sound cervical cancer related. As a general rule cervical cancer has different symptoms, but only when it has become very (much more than a year!) advanced. The symptoms are unusual bleeding and pain during sex. There can also be foul smelling discharge. This is when it is very advanced though. Since your smear was one year ago, it is time for your next one anyway. She might be being proactive in scheduling it for you.

How much weight have you lost in how much time? Any stressful changes in your life that could cause this? Intestinal problems, etc?
|

replied February 17th, 2009
In the last month i have prob lost around 6 pounds,only realised the other day as i dont weigh myself very often, only did because of my loss of apitite.

No stressfull changes, in actual fact everything has been really good.

Sex is a problem for me, and i find it vey painfull so much so that my husband and i unfortunatly dont do it that often, when we have in the past i have bled after. I have heavy discharge but no foul smell.

Well i'm off to the docs in a while so i will let you know how i get on.

Thanx for your advise.
|

replied February 17th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
Good luck!
|

replied February 20th, 2009
my symptoms
I hope everything went alright. I had similar symptoms but mostly a distended abdomen and missed periods and had an ultrasound to discover a tumour attached to an ovary which I had removed. Scary at first, but glad it is out. Anytime you have strange symptoms that you think are `nothing`, you have to get them checked out, especially when your gut tells you something isn`t right. I waited a long time - 7 months before I got it checked out. Good luck!
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
crampy symptoms
I just read this forum and jjtwinkle sounds a little like what I'm going through, so I'd love to hear how your test went....

I have 4 young children and heard that lots of births can trigger cervical cancer. does anyone know if that's linked?

Lately i've felt a little off....my symptoms are:

-lower cramping pain (constant around the time I'm ovulating but goes on for days)
- bled dark brown blood a little the week before my period started
- lack of energy - heavy eyes
- thick white/cream discharge (no odor)
- hips hurt (almost feel stiff)

I am normally very active, go to the gym 4 days a week, play soccer one night a week, but I just feel off...the cramping concerns me, and I went to the doctor 2 days ago for a pap and blood tests and I'm just making myself sick with anxiety over the results. I feel like I've diognosed myself by reading the cervical cancer forums, and I finally broke down and cried pretty hard tonight. Should I be waiting for my pap results, or should i just go get a biopsy of my cervix? Would my doctor have seen anything on my cervic when she did the pap, or do you even see it in a pap test? If you have any anwers could you please write me any information you might be able to share, both good and bad. I was up till 5a.m. yesterday, and now it's 2 a.m. and can't seem to settle down....thank you.
|

Cancer that forms in tissues of the ovary (one of a pair of female reproductive glands in which the ova, or eggs, are formed). Most ovarian cancers are either ovarian epithelial carcinomas (cancer that begins in the cells on the surface of the ovary) or malignant germ cell tumors (cancer that begins in egg cells).

|

Hi soory i've not updated for a while. Turns out i didnt have a smear (thought i was) it was just swabs which have all come back negative!!! although she did say whilst doing my swab that my cervix had a white abnormal coating on it, i asked what that ment -she said it could be from what ive had done in the past!
I have been back to the doctors today as the pain is no better and i also look 4 months pregnant ( i'm not), now been refered back to gyne as she doesnt know whats wrong!!! I'm really fed up now had enough, may have to get second opinion.

Flower9 i know how u feel i'm starting to feel a little anxious now and my kids are fed up with having a mum who cant play with them, you need to go and get checked out, maybe you will have more luck than me, my husband wants to just take me to the hospital maybe then they will run some other tests- scan,bloods?.

Thanks all. xx
|

Hi Again
I just looked at this post after relying to your note to me. You mentioned:
Bloated tummy
Feeling full
need to pee alot
loss of apitite
preasure in pelvis and pain in lower abdomen around cervical area.
You should definitely talk frankly to your doctor. I don't want to worry you needlessly, but my sister had all of the symtoms you listed for a very long time before she was diagnosed with stage III ovarian cancer. There can be many causes for those symptoms though, so just make sure your doctor is aware and you remain proactive until you are satisfied that you have a real diagnosis. Please keep me posted. I'm praying for you.
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: crampy symptoms
flower9 wrote:
I just read this forum and jjtwinkle sounds a little like what I'm going through, so I'd love to hear how your test went....

I have 4 young children and heard that lots of births can trigger cervical cancer. does anyone know if that's linked?

Lately i've felt a little off....my symptoms are:

-lower cramping pain (constant around the time I'm ovulating but goes on for days)
- bled dark brown blood a little the week before my period started
- lack of energy - heavy eyes
- thick white/cream discharge (no odor)
- hips hurt (almost feel stiff)

I am normally very active, go to the gym 4 days a week, play soccer one night a week, but I just feel off...the cramping concerns me, and I went to the doctor 2 days ago for a pap and blood tests and I'm just making myself sick with anxiety over the results. I feel like I've diognosed myself by reading the cervical cancer forums, and I finally broke down and cried pretty hard tonight. Should I be waiting for my pap results, or should i just go get a biopsy of my cervix? Would my doctor have seen anything on my cervic when she did the pap, or do you even see it in a pap test? If you have any anwers could you please write me any information you might be able to share, both good and bad. I was up till 5a.m. yesterday, and now it's 2 a.m. and can't seem to settle down....thank you.

HPV causes cervical cancer. Not having children. Do you have HPV? If you have kept up on your pap smears regularly, then chances are what you are experiencing is NOT cervical cancer.

You should definitely be waiting for your pap results and that will tell the doctor where to go from there. Cervical cancer takes a long time to advance so if you have been getting yourself checked regularly (as I'm sure you have with 4 small children/pregnancies).

Let us know when your pap comes back.
|

Especially eHealthy
jjtwinkle wrote:
Hi soory i've not updated for a while. Turns out i didnt have a smear (thought i was) it was just swabs which have all come back negative!!! although she did say whilst doing my swab that my cervix had a white abnormal coating on it, i asked what that ment -she said it could be from what ive had done in the past!
I have been back to the doctors today as the pain is no better and i also look 4 months pregnant ( i'm not), now been refered back to gyne as she doesnt know whats wrong!!! I'm really fed up now had enough, may have to get second opinion.

Flower9 i know how u feel i'm starting to feel a little anxious now and my kids are fed up with having a mum who cant play with them, you need to go and get checked out, maybe you will have more luck than me, my husband wants to just take me to the hospital maybe then they will run some other tests- scan,bloods?.

Thanks all. xx

I'm not understanding this. Swabs on your cervix ARE a pap smear...

Your second opinion is going to be the gynecologist you've been referred to.
|

Re: crampy symptoms
HPV causes cervical cancer. Not having children. Do you have HPV? If you have kept up on your pap smears regularly, then chances are what you are experiencing is NOT cervical cancer.

You should definitely be waiting for your pap results and that will tell the doctor where to go from there. Cervical cancer takes a long time to advance so if you have been getting yourself checked regularly (as I'm sure you have with 4 small children/pregnancies).

Thank you for your reply Mabel....I was on an "Ask a Doctor" webpage and under cervical cancer and symptoms, it said that multiple pregnancies, the birth control pill, smoking, low immune system can cause cervical cancer. I was all of the above, I have 4 children (6 pregnancies..miscarried 2), smoked on and off for 3 years about 15 years ago (my age is 36 now), I was on birth control from 17-27 (on and off)...

I haven't had a pap test for 3 years, but the urine test I had while I was pregnant with my 2 year old showed blood in the urine, and when I was there last week, they did the same test and had the same results...so after my pap, I went to a blood clinic for thyroid tests, and another thorough urine test etc...

While I have been pregnant pretty much from 2000-2007, would they have done test to check for things that I have no symptoms for? I am VERY in tune with my body and things are always pretty regular. I have just lost my dad 2 years ago go kidney cancer, and my cousin (my exact age) just finished her chemo, had breast cancer while pregnant. It's all just hit me and I don't know if I'm just now panicking because this is all so close to home. I can't mistake the constant cramping I have mostly on my left side of my pelvis, and the discharge I have in the middle of my cycle, thick, long and white/cream color with no odor, and then this is the first time in my life that my period was a week early fir the past 2 months, and this last time I had that brown dark blood from the Mon-Saturday when my reagular period started.... I am quite active both with the kids and with friends and with sports, etc, and I am obviously hoping that I'm just tired of the busy life, but I don't work and have never had a problem keeping up until lately when all these symptoms have started.

I also had a metallic taste in my mouth for about a month, but think that is dental related, and I had a hacky cough, so I think with all this, I am think the worst case...my mind is getting the worst of me...

Regardless, I will wait until I get the test results back and if they come back irregular, and there is a waiting period to see anyone, I might just go to the private MRI clinic and get one done. I do really like my doctor and hope she'd of mention during the pap if she saw anything irregular, but I was told that she probably would see anything because it's cells (expecially cancer). I've never had HPV, and have been with my husband for 13 years...

Could HPV be in my system and be indetected for years and go unnoticed in my paps over the past 13 years? Or if you have it you always can detect it?

HPV isn't the only way to get cervical cancer is it? it said in that website that it's a silent cancer and you usually notice only by pap, or if you haven't been to a pap that you would usually notice it once it's spread of been advanced enough to start feeling it? Any information on that would be great.

Thank you Mabel for listening...I'm just making things worse for myself with all these self diagnoses, but I just can't get it off my mind...not being here for my kids has me going frantic with anxiety. Thank you!
|

Crampy symptoms
Sorry Mabel, I put your quote on the top of my last reply....
|

Especially eHealthy
OK, here it goes. Cervical cancer usually takes years to develop. It is not a fast moving cancer. 70% of cervical cancer is caused by HPV. This is why we have pap smears, to detect minor cervical changes (dysplasia) and treat that before it turns into cancer (from dysplasia to cervical cancer can take a decade!).

Cervical cancer is really easy to treat. The 'cancer' word is terrifying, I understand (I've actually had cervical cancer). But listen, most of the fear is not called for. Most women who have cervical cell changes wig out for awhile, have a really minor procedure then never have to deal with it except for a yearly pap smear. The risk that you went from having a perfectly fine pap smear 3 years ago to full blown cervical cancer is really, really low. Honest.

The very last thing people need to do is diagnose themselves on the internet! Dr. Google is good when you already know what you have, but terrible if you are searching your symptoms! For instance, if you put 'blood in urine' you can come back with bladder cancer, bladder prolapse, etc. Let your doctor do this work, that is what they went to med school for and that is what you and your insurance pay them for.

In addition: in the first visits to your doctor when you are first pregnant are usually when you get a pap smear. Again at your 6 week checkup. So if your baby is 2, you've have a pap smear within the last 2 years. That is good news.

Bleeding changes when we get older. It might be time for your hormones (late 30's) to start changing, that would throw your period off.

When did you get your pap smear? When did the doctor say you should expect results?
|

I got my pap done on Friday, and i called the Dr. office today to see when I will get the results, and they said within a week, so I am hoping for it the next couple days. Thank you for your reply, it calmed me down to where I needed to be. I was told today that I should check my hormone levels, and I'm not sure if the doctor would have done that with the variety of tests that she had done.

Yes, I was supposed to get a pap test at my sons 6 week check up, but my doctor wasn't there, so I told them that I would come back when she had returned....haven't been back till friday, and my doctor said that I was 3 years behind...so I know better now. If everything is good or whatever they found out, maybe this was a wake up for me to act on my symptoms when I get them......thank you very much for getting back to me, I'll let you know my results when I get them.
|

replied February 24th, 2009
The swabs that were taken were for infection and chlydima- not a smear.

I was thinking of getting a second opinion from a doctor whilst waiting for my gyne app to come through.
|

replied February 24th, 2009
Especially eHealthy
A gynecologist would be your best option though. A regular doctor doesn't specialize in things 'down there'.
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
crampy symptoms
I think i am in the same boat as all the ladies here.
i have the cramps, a thick and foul discharge , with the pain during sex, it depends on the position, but thats rear. But i have not lost appetite and weight.( i have PCOS).My problem is my smear test is overdue and i have booked an appointment to do it on friday. But i seem to have diagnosed myself and so i am having sleepless nights and i am desperae for the test. Well, lets see what comes out of it. For all you know, we are crying wolf for nothing.
|