Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Osteochondromas surgery

User Profile
I am a 20 year old female that has osteochondromas. I will be having surgery on the 18 of December 2009.I have one of the ostemchondromas on the inside of my right shoulder blade. Before i found out that this was a tumor, my shoulder was going numb off and on all day every day. I was also having problems with my wrist so i just thought maybe it was all related and didnt say anything to my doctor about it. This numb feeling went on for about 4 to 5 months and one day i was out shopping and had a sharp pain in my shoulder. Well the pain didnt go away in a couple of weeks so i went to see a doctor about it and they told me it was a tumor. He also told me that he has never had to remove one of these tumors from where mine is and that he may have to detatch my musles and reattach them and that hes not sure how long the surgery will take or how long the recovery time will be. My question is how long does it take to recover from a surgery like this and will i have problems later in life?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2009
Bone Cancer Answer A8468
Without seeing your x-rays, I cannot offer you a specific response to your questions. In general, however, most strenuous activities (including lifting) can be gradually resumed beginning 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. The likelihood of permanent impairment will depend a great deal upon the exact nature of the surgery that is performed.

I do not wish to second guess your surgeon, but if he cannot answer these basic questions for you, and if he indicates that he has never peformed this specific procedure before, then perhaps you should first obtain a second opinion (preferably with an Orthopedic Oncologist).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.