User Profile
I've been doing a little research to try and find some relief from my arthritis. Because of a history of stomach ulcers and the effect they have on me (acid reflux, indigestion, vomiting) I can't take acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Research 'suggests' that vitamin K deficiency increases the risk of arthritis. So I thought the reverse might be true, that vitamin K lessens the severity of arthritis. Does anyone know whether this helps or not?
(I know that there are some drugs that you are not supposed to take with vitamin K. I am not on any of the drugs that may interact badly with it.)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2008
Supporter
Vitamin K deficiency increases risk of acquiring arthritis. Thus it wouldn't do much to relieve the pain of arthritis. Early research suggests that chondroitin and hyaluronic acid might help reduce severity.

Have you tried physiotherapy, and other physical therapy activities? It helps some people. There are also specific non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that might not precipitate your acid reflux symptoms.

Talk to your doctor for other management strategies.
|
Users who thank Mame for this post: deteragram 

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2008
Supporter
The major NSAID on the market is Aleve but one of the side effects of that drug is that it increases the risk of serious effects on the stomach: bleeding/ ulcers. I tried physical therapy but after two months of therapy and no significant improvement my doctor discontinued it. I've been on Celebrex but after finding kidney problems my doctor took me off of it- that was a good drug, I almost felt like risking the kidney problems because it improved my arthritis so much. The doctor also put me on 1oo mg? of ibuprofen per day but I had acid reflux so badly, and since it barely had any effect on the arthritis the doctor took me off that as well.

Here is a direct quote from one article I read on osteoarthritis and vitamin K: “Vitamin K may make cartilage hardier so that it better withstands wear and tear. It may allow the bone to respond in a more healthy fashion to the wearing away of cartilage. And it may act as an anti-inflammatory, reducing the inflammation of joint linings that causes pain.”
www.bu.edu/alumni/advancement/2006/spring/ vegetables/index.html

Has anyone actually tried vitamin K and, if so, what were the results? Because vitamin K also plays a role in clotting the blood I'm reluctant to try it until I know something more about it. Could it cause blood clots or other medical problems if you take too much?
|

replied October 30th, 2008
Supporter
Vitamin K in excess are not known if taken at the RDA, which is 120 ug for males and 90 ug for females. However, if you have some clotting disorders then you shouldn't be taking vit K.
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2008
Supporter
Thanks forthe input, Mame. I don't have any clotting disorders so, luckily that's not an issue for me. My problem is that there is no agreed upon RDA for vitamin K. I visited eight websites and they all listed dosages that were different. They ranged from 65 mcg-120 mcg for women/adults. (Some of the sites had the same dosage for men and women.) I think I'll just start with the 65 mcg and see how that goes. I can always adjust the dosage later, if necessary. I'll be sure and post the results so helpfully this will (1) help others or (2) prevent them from trying this if I see no positive results. Wish me luck!
|

replied November 1st, 2008
Supporter
Multivitamins have about 40 mcg in them. With a balanced healthy diet you should be able to obtain enough vit K.
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2008
Supporter
To those interested, I had difficulty finding vitamin K at the drug store. I finally found it at GNC. It's 100mcg and only costed a few dollars. I only started on it a few days ago (one pill a day) so I have nothing to report yet but I'll be sure and post my results if I notice any benefits.
|
Must Read
Osteoarthritis is a type of joint disease that causes the most disability in the U.S. But what is osteoarthritis? Review types of osteoarthritis and stages here...
Aging may cause osteoarthritis, but what behaviors put you at risk of developing this type of joint disease? And are you at risk of osteoarthritis?...
Symptoms of osteoarthritis progressively worsen over time. What signs and symptoms can you look for? And when should you seek medical help for joint pain?...