User Profile
Hi There,

I am active in a few competitive sports, Soccer, Basketball and Golf. I have noticed over the past month that i am getting some inflammation/minor swelling in my knee a day or two after games. It doesn't give me much pain, except that it's just a little swollen when i bend my knee. I feel the swelling right around the outside and front of the knee. There has not been any discoloration that i have seen so far.

The swelling starts to go down after about 3-4 days, but there are weeks where i play 2-3 games per week, so it stays swollen that way until i give it a few days rest.

I just started taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin and zyflamend for inflammation about a week ago. I can't tell right now if they are working since it's only been a week, so the jury is still out.

When i visited my doctor late last year for a knee check up, he said i have arthritis in my left knee.

I am wondering what else i could take to eliminate the inflammation/swelling.

Regards,

Etruria

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Yaser
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2009
Orthopedics Answer A7179
Judging from your description, your swelling and minor pain may be coming from the knee osteoarthritis, but it seems likely that you may also have minor meniscus injury or even ligament injury.

Ice is the best thing to decrease inflammation. An ice pack can be applied for 10-15 minutes and then taken off for an hour. There are many supplements that are supposed to help with inflammation such as fish oils, boswellia complex, and antronex. Yours seems to be more from overuse so the less movement the less inflammation. Good luck!

Antonio Marotta, D.C.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Osteoarthritis is a type of joint disease that causes the most disability in the U.S. But what is osteoarthritis? Review types of osteoarthritis and stages here...
Aging may cause osteoarthritis, but what behaviors put you at risk of developing this type of joint disease? And are you at risk of osteoarthritis?...
Symptoms of osteoarthritis progressively worsen over time. What signs and symptoms can you look for? And when should you seek medical help for joint pain?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.