I've been wearing ortho K lenses for about a year and a half now, and I've only started having problems since about three months ago. Before that, ortho k lenses were perfect (my eyes were 375 degrees) and I had no problems.

The problems started about three months ago, when I was putting on the contact lenses and I felt a lot of discomfort and immediately took them off again. My eye doctor told me that I had an infection, so I didn't wear the lenses for about two months after that. But just a few weeks ago, when I tried the contacts on again, I didn't feel extreme discomfort at first, but after a few minutes my eyes began to water a lot and tears came flooding out. Even when I closed my eyes there was no difference. It felt as if there was shampoo in my eyes or something. I couldn't feel the lenses in my eyes but I could feel a sort of pain like pepper stinging my eyes. When I checked my eyes in the mirror, they were extremely red and I could see a lot of tears. I didn't wear them for the night and went to the eye doctor again. However, my doctor said that he couldn't find any problems with both my eyes or the lenses. I tried wearing them and again, my eyes became very red and painful, with lots of tears. However, my doctor said that it was normal, and didn't think that there were any problems.

The strange thing is that I tried ignoring the discomfort and falling asleep, and the next day, when I took off the lenses my eyes were perfect: no redness, no pain, and my vision was great. I could see just as clearly as before I had the problems. So it's only before I fall asleep when I have the pain and discomfort.

So I'm not sure if I should continue using these lenses: even though I have major discomfort in my eyes while wearing these lenses, I wake up in the morning with perfect eyes and vision after taking off the lenses. In the morning, there is no pain and no redness.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MARKCOS
|

replied October 1st, 2012
I am a contact lens manufacturer/designer and i believe you have one of two possible problems going on here. Either the lens has a defect in the edge that your Dr. can't see and that is causing the issue or it could be the solution that you are using. If the edge has even a tiny chip in it this would cause severe discomfort and redness like you describe, but it would not affect the lens performance. If you have recently changed your contact lens solution this could also be the problem. Some solutions are all-in-one type solutions that both clean and condition the lens. With these types of solutions, you have to make sure you rinse the lens thoroughly before inserting into the eye.
|

replied October 8th, 2012
Since you are a manufacturer/designer can you tell me exactly how ortho-k lenses work? I don't want lasik and this sounds like a pretty good alternative. Where can I go to get more information?
|
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....