Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Opiate Abuse And Withdrawal Symptoms

Prescription painkillers, also known as opiate pain relievers, including oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc., are reportedly abused at a large extent for a non-medical purpose. Many people who abuse these painkillers become dependent on them.

After becoming dependent on the opiate, one is likely to experience extremely uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. Although, the withdrawal is not life-threatening, however, the symptoms are difficult to manage.

There are two phases of opiate withdrawal. The first phase includes a number of symptoms, which include:

- Anxiety
- Running nose
- Low energy
- Muscle aches
- Tearing eyes
- Excessive sweating
- Agitation

The second phase is marked by:

- Rapid heartbeat
- Dilated pupils
- Diarrhea
- Nausea
- Vomiting
- Abdominal Cramps

These symptoms can last from a week to a month and can be followed by long-term symptoms as well, which includes emotional and behavioral issues.

It is necessary that one stays away from using opiate. This can be done by diverting the mind in some recreational activity or by joining a support group. Moreover, it is important that one should be provided with a proper therapy at a professional rehab for detox. The professionals cater to provide various medications and treatment so that one can live a healthy life.

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. I appreciate your info. Opioid addiction is very challenging and needs all these above mentioned measure along with cognitive behavioural therapies, support group with 12 steps, peer support and motivational approach of oneself is mandatory.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.