Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Open Inguinal Hernia Repair Experience

Going into have my hernia repaired, I was not looking forward to it because of all of the negative experiences I read on various threads. As I read, it occurred to me that most of the time people are only going to take time to write about their bad experiences. This is my, 'as I go,' hopefully positive experience.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2017
Day 0:

First things first - it definitely helped to have a hot nurse. I can't promise anyone else the same, but it was definitely a good start to the experience.

Coming out of surgery, I only experienced mild discomfort, maybe a 4/10 on the pain scale. The worst part initially was that my mouth was very dry from the intubation. I was up and walking within two hours of surgery. I was able to urinate without difficulty. From start to finish, I was only in the hospital for 4.5 hours.

At home I rested on the couch and pain was kept in check at a 3/10. I took a combination of hydrocodone/Tylenol every 6 hours. I also took Ibuprofen every 6 hours, but alternated it with the hydrocodone/Tylenol so I was taking something every 3rd hour.

About 7 hours after surgery my pain started to increase. Not sure if it was because I was walking around a fair amount or that the pain meds from the hospital were wearing off. I tried to eat a sandwich, but could not because my mouth was too dry.

Urination was ok until about 11 hours after the surgery at which point I could barely go. I was slowly able to trickle some out. I did not have a BM all day.
|

replied January 7th, 2017
Day 1:

It was our sons birthday party today (surgery was scheduled on short notice, otherwise we obviously wouldn't have had a birthday party the day after). I was not able to rest as I should have. My pain is around 5/10 during activity and a 3/10 when resting. I am still following the same regiment of pain meds as yesterday. My mouth is still very dry and my tongue hurts quite a bit. I am eating as usual at this point. Urinating is fairly normal, other than some stop/start action. I still have not had a BM. Coughing and laughing are absolutely dreadful.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....