Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

oozing fluid from the stitched area post op!

User Profile
Hai sir,
My mother undergone Herinia operation in abdomen by open surgery on 31 Mar 11. She was discharged from hospital on 06th after removing the tube fitted to discharge the waste fluid from the operated area. After two days i.e.on 08th she expereinced severe oozing of fluid from upper part of the stitched area. the stitching was not yet removed.
when we consulted the surgeon he said the wound was normal and no need to panic and made dressing in the stitched area. again after 2 days on 10th she got again oozing of fluid from the operated area. what was the reason for the oozing. Is it normal and how long it oozes like this? suggestion pse

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2011
Hernia Answer A22090
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you. Oozing of the serous fluid is quite common from the surgical wounds.

However, if there’s any oozing which is not clear, i.e. is turbid or coloured and associated with any smell, then it is an indicator of the infection. As long as the ooze is clear, there’s nothing to worry.

Gradually, the ooze is going to decrease as the wound is going to heal. It may take approximately 3-4 weeks after the surgery for the ooze to stop completely. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.