Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

only half the thyroid will be taken out? I want it all out!

User Profile
I have been diagnosed with a follicular hurthle cell oncocytic neoplasm after 5 months I am having surgery in 2 weeks for half the thyroid taken out.I want it all out as the doctors and tests missed my early bladder cancer last year.Any help appreciated and your opinion.Thank you and God bless.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2012
Thyroid Cancer Answer A33044
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Hurthle cell carcinoma is a rare cancer of the thyroid gland and has high incidence of metastasis.The surgical removal of the gland depends on the initial size,extent,spread and location of the neoplastic tissue.Other than that various other factors as age,any other disease in the patient are also to be considered.

Usually total or near total thyroidectomy(removal of the thyroid gland)is the most preferred treatment for it.Usually small parts of the thyroid tissue near the parathyroid gland are left as they regulate the calcium levels.
After the surgery usually hormonal preparation as Levothyroxine is to be taken for life long.

Since I am not aware of the entire history,exact location and extent it is difficult to comment regarding the preferred treatment option for you.But you can discuss with your treating Surgeon regaring this.Relax as after evaluating your case he might have decided the best treatment option available for you.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.