I'll try to present all information, some maybe not relevant..

My general overall symptoms seem to consist of having gas and small bm's for a few days, usually a number of them daily, often with urgency. I feel constipated, I still feel like I could go more and feel bloated/clogged up during this time. Stool is clay like to lose and 'flaky' in appearance. Sometimes I have normal bm during this time, or near the end of this stage - often large - usually feel better, and a feeling of hope I am back to normal. This stage usually lasts a week to a week 1/2, then I will get hit by extreme urgency and a long session on the toilet with urgency that is only comparable to throwing up.. when i am done there is a lot of volume and consistency of a thick mud, though sometimes at this stage I am just hit with painful diarrhea. The last time it was actually foamy and I had significant pain in my lower abdomen and back.

I started noticing symptoms in fall 2008, or at least started thinking something isn't right.I had quit smoking around the same time.

My symptoms then consisted generally of diarrhea 3 to 6 times from 8am to 2pm. I remember thinking I had to urinate a lot then and often had to wake up to do so, but I still felt rested generally.

I decided to cut lactose from my diet - there was a significant improvement but still not normal, so I thought it was gluten, and have mostly cut wheat, then coffee from my diet, and symptoms improved but still the same general issues.

I also almost always belch for a few hours after eating, sometimes with acid/heartburn. The belching feels like it is being forced up and comes without warning is a short quick belch.

I have a sight pain in my left side, abdomen near the groin that I thought was unrelated, doctor said I might have a mild hernia, another doctor said i don't have a hernia. Recently I have thought it could be related and believe the pain there is consistent with when I am experience problems with gas or bloating. I have pain in the opposite side in my back now as well. Lower back pain has come and gone and I haven't thought it was related until recently.

Maybe important to note:
I have experienced brief fever several times, felt I was getting sick, then go to bed and wake up fine.

I am starting to think this is not a food intolerance, but a physical issue.
Any help appeciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 28th, 2010
Experienced User
I would strongly urge you to follow up w/ a gastroenerologist.
|

Sounds bad, huh? I have an appointment in May, looking for more info to arm myself with to push that date up when I go to the clinic.
|

Experienced User
Actually it could be IBS. I have it. Then you can try more dietary changes and be treated symptomatically(i.e. diarrhea, constipation,etc). They do need to rule out something of a more serious nature. Keep me updated. Good luck
|

replied February 9th, 2010
I read about leaky gut so I quit consuming caffeine on the off chance that was the problem, and I feel great (after a couple days of headaches). It has been two weeks and I have even started eating wheat and having a bit of milk with no issues. As a side benefit, I sleep better and am more alert.
|

replied February 19th, 2010
IBS
It is IBS. Try to drink more water in the morning as more as you can
|

replied May 28th, 2010
It is great that you are starting to recognize your triggers and what may be connected to your symptoms...this is often the hardest part. I would also highly recommend seeing a doctor, as well as checking out Dr. Wangen's book, "The Irritable Bowel Syndrome Solution." This book, may help you to gain a clearer understanding of what could be going on with your body and help you to communicate more effectively with your doctor.
|

replied May 28th, 2010
Consuming aloe vera gel helps IBS.The complete healing requires some time depending on the severity of your condition.Search for Forever Living Products distribution centre near your locality.The products are a bit costly and purity and absorption level is high but they are 100% effective.You can give it a try since aloe vera won't harm you.
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....