Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

One-time massive blood sugar spike

Hi - I do not have diabetes, as far as I know, but this seemed like the forum most likely to have expertise related to my question.

I am a 48yo male, a bit overweight, in good overall health.

I am currently recovering from bronchitis. I contracted it from my 78-year-old father while helping him.

The bronchitis made me feel weak and slowed down, with (of course) a sore throat. One day, I had a craving for orange juice, and started guzzling it down. In the past few days, I have drunk multiple gallons of orange juice, sometimes two gallons a day. It was just the only thing that seemed to help overall - it cooled me off when I was hot, it soothed my throat, and it rehydrated me. I realized belatedly how crazy that is in terms of sugar content.

I started looking into this when I noticed that my vision is significantly worse today than it was before I got sick. My online investigation so far makes me think it's probably due to high blood sugar from the orange juice.

First, is that a good guess? My vision went from slightly below average (but don't need glasses to drive), to rather bad (not sure how to quantify, but can't read signs at work at half the distance I could read them last week). I would certainly flunk a DMV vision test if I took it today.

Second, if that's the issue, will it simply fix itself as the sugar gets out of my body? I've stopped drinking orange juice, will stick with water for a while, then back to my more typical black coffee and unsweet tea.

Is there much risk of permanent damage? I know nothing is certain.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!
I read your question and I understand your concern.
These features are suggestive of increase blood sugar level. These vision abnormalities are transient and fade away with treatment of hyperglycemia. I would suggest you fasting blood sugar.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diabetes, Coffee
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.