Can TMJ be on just one side? Sometimes may pain will radiate to the other but it has been mostly on the right lower jaw. Ice helps and not opening my mouth very wide so I was just wondering if it was possible that I have this disease. I also have a cracked wisdom tooth on my right side that I've known about which has just recently started bothering me and I grind my teeth at night especially if I have any kind of tooth pain.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2009
Supporter
Anything is possible in this world. Cracked wisdom tooth - how can be this related to TMJ? Do you grind your teeth during sleep?
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2009
You might have eagle syndrome i was missed diagnoised for 9 years it will show up only on a 3d cat scan also known as a tomograph,it will not show on medical x rays,regular cat scans ,or blood test trust me the right side of my jaw hurt every day for nine years also felt pressure in my ear and a cool sensation when i breathed in on that side just had the sugery done yesterday
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2009
Supporter
tomograph is nto 3D CT scan, also know as cone beam CT scan. Tomography refers to computerized tomography - hence the term CT. Just to make it clear so the person is not asking for tomography - as they will likely just prescribe regular computerize tomography - CT scan. Not cone beam or 3D CT. Also, none of these are necessary to correctly diagnose Eagles' syndrome. Regular MRI, with no radiotion, will provide images of calcified ligaments just as well as CT scan. But the newer version of CT scan provides much quicker, possibly more accurate way for reconstructing the imagines that can be viewed in 3D. Same thing can be done with both regular MRI and CT scan, given proper program.
I used 3Dview and it allowed me to create 3D image which clearly shows calcified ligament, however, radiologist did not pay attention to that. So you really have to have the people that are familiar with this; and of course 3D CT scan can be viewed better with more advanced technology that it comes with (ie software) which can be utilized to bring attention to particular area and analyze it in 3D.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....