Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

One shot Haloperidol long term effects?

Dear All,

I got injected only once with Haloperidol, got it az ER as tranquilizer (even though I only felt uneasy...) That caused me to fell asleep, I woke up in a couple of hours, only a bit of twitching in my shoulder, but a pill took care of that for good. This happened a year ago.

I read various articles on the internet that Haloperidol (and basically psychiatric drugs) can cause brain damage/brain volume shrinkage.

This stuff got me worried as a would be software engineer I wish to dedicate my whole life to learning IT/programming and I need my brain in top shape to do so. I got no other medications than haloperidol and that pill afterwards.

Shall I be worried about possible brain damage? I admit those articles were about persistent use but I'm still worried.
As for the long term effect, does this one shot effect the brain/dopamine levels/whatnot permanently?

For the record: Tests I performed recently: an official Mensa adaptive IQ test on which I scored no mistake, giving me an IQ above 125, a test for superior IQ would be needed to evaluate it accurately.

For my balace I usually do weighted single leg squats, I rarely fall on my bottom. For dexterity I play the clarinet and the saxophone, my technique has no more flaws than it used to have. For memory, I'm an Eastern-European university student, we have to cram everything and so far so good, I had the two semesters with all my credits completed with ease.

I understand this all sounds most hypochondriac, but born in a poorer family, my mind is all I have.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Single shot of haloperidol doesn't cause these long term effects.I would suggest you to consult a psychiatrist to evaluate you as without evaluation diagnosis is tough.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.