Medical Questions > Parenting > Adoption Forum

One Adoptee's Story

User Profile
I could write a book on this and how horrible it was for me, BUT I can honestly say I believe that it's still a WONDERFUL Thing....I am 27 years old now but I no longer talk to my adoptive parents by MY choice, they are dead to me. Seriously, I think I have a lot of smart things to say on this subject and not nearly all of it will fit here. If you have a teen as of now who is adopted and having some issues I can offer insight into what's going on or at least how I felt. I am extending my expereince and advice to ANY parents who have questions.

On the flip side, if there are any birth mothers worried about what a child they gave up might think of them in the future, PLEASE feel free to come and ask me as well. Though I think I ended up in the crappiest family possible, I honestly hold NO GRUDGES against my birth mother for giving me up as she honestly thought this was the best way to give me a life she couldn't. How can I fault her for that when it would have been far more selfish for her to keep me when she couldn't take care of me properly.

Anyway, I am friendly and honest so if you want to ask me anything about this subject I would LOVE to talk to you about it!

~Monica
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2012
I'm 21 and I want to start adopting when I'm 25. I really hope it works out but I worry the kids won't like me. I don't know how to ask but why is it hard to adopt teens? I think by the time I'm 25 I'll adopt a preteen between the ages 10-13, I always pictured myself as a single mom of 3 kids. But after reading your post I want to learn what I need change in my life in order to better care for my future kids. What was hard for you in your adoption family? Were your ad. parents strict or did they force you to go on family outings?
|

replied October 31st, 2012
Crimsonregret, I completely understand what you're feeling because I've felt the same way too. I was placed in an orphanage up until I was adopted at the age of four. I had and, admittedly, still have SOME animosity towards my birthparents for choosing addiction over me; for investing themselves in things other than me. But I'm 18 now and, although it took me a long time to realize, I realized in the long run, they gave me the greatest gift if all. Life. Please email me
I would love to ask you some questions:)
Also LeonahMarie3, adopting a pre-teen/teen is often difficult because they've lived an entire life in half the time. They've experienced things no child should ever have to experience. They need stabilty and unwavering love. It's difficult but not impossible. Don't be discouraged:) I would also like to answer some of your questions as well as possibly ask some. Please email me also?
Best wishes!
Love, Lex
|