Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

once you treat bipolar disorder Do you level out?

What happens once you treat bipolar disorder? Do you level out, no more depression or mania? Or do you only seek treatment when these episodes occur?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 12th, 2016
I have had symptoms of BD since I was a teenager, though diagnosed in my twenties. I have been through so many Drs being kicked out of practices because I'd fall into depression and after months of upping med doses, I became more depressed. Being bipolar, I had people telling me it was all in my head, there was nothing wrong with me, but I know when I need to go see a dr. I often lock myself away from everyone when I am depressed, and only talk with close family when I'm manic. Even though I love to go out and have a good time, I have no meaningful relationships outside of family. I have never had much luck with meds , I guess most do... You go to dr they prescribe, you give them about a month to kick in , and then you keep dr visits every month when meds start to feel like they are not working they up them... Like I said works for most, but this is a life long disease it will never go away. The dr that helped me the most was a therapist who taught me how to control my excruciating panic attacks, he really cared even though I acted like a jerk at first because I thought it was bull. But yes the meds even out and will eventually not work, that is why they have to adjust your doses or even change your meds. But yes I've always felt like a lab rat, uve taken so many different meds and a few had frightening side effects, but the Drs have always been good about changing them. I hope one day I will find a med that works for me, but don't be scared not all people have as many issues as I.
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.

Bipolar disorder is a serious and life long disorder and seeks medical attention as soon as possible. Symptoms usually come back over time if medications are left or not taken on time. To answer your question the treatment for it is long term and it should be continued throughout and not only during the episodes of mania or depression. My advice to you would be to see a psychiatrist as soon as possible so he can start you on medications to resolve this problem you’re facing.
I hope this helped kindly stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr Khalil
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.