I just saw my ENT doctor about throat problems (coughing, trouble with hacking mucus, mucus not coming up with cough and hacking), he said all my problems were due to acid reflux and prescribed me Omeprazole (he also told me to take less of the ranitidine, which I admittedly had been taking a lot, and to not take Tums because the calcium causes more acid), and then gave me a referal to a gastroenterologist.

My question is regarding the Omeprazole. My doctor didn't say how long I should take it. I know you're not supposed to take it long term, but I don't know why not. The box says not to take it for more than 14 days, and says to only take once a day. My doctor said to take twice a day, and didn't say when I should stop. I bought a 42 pill box, but my question is, why is taking this for too long harmful, and how long is too long?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2018
Omeprazole is usually advise 20 MG twice a day or 40 MG once a day. However in certain hyper secretary conditions such as Zollinger Ellison syndrome the dose can be increased up to 40 MG twice a day. Even in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs induced gastritis the dose may be increased to 80 mg per day in divided doses. In ENT related causes the usual duration is from 2 weeks to a month.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.