Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

off the weed for about 2 weeks and the problems still there.

Hey guys,

Ive had an ongoing problem for some time now, nearly around 2 years. Its to do with my speech.
It happened all of a sudden without warning and has been really adding to my anxiety, infact, its the main reason I have social anxiety. Before this I was fine.

Anyways heres some background info- for the past 4 years I've been quite a heavy weed smoker, averaging in-between 1-2 grams a day.

I would wake up and the first thing I would do would be to pack a bowl and smoke it, along with a coffee or tea.

I would usually stay high all day (Although the first year I would just smoke at night as I lived at home with my very Christian family).

Everything seemed okay for the first part, however after a few bad experiences, I became very stressed out and one day I woke up feeling different. Something felt off in my brain, Like a Huge brain fog, as well as my speech being off.

Ever since then I've found it incredibly hard to pronounce words and speak clearly. Im always getting asked to repeat myself and I feel like Im talking in an upwards tone rather then my normal tone. My speech is slurred and I have no control over it to make it sound clear, although, to be honest, it sounds normal to me.

2 years later, its still happening, I have been off the weed for about 2 weeks and the problems still there.

Not that this matters, but I used to be quite popular in high school, Ive never had a problem with getting the girls I wanted. I was nearly mean in high school because of my ego.

Since experiencing this, I cannot express myself properly, I can't talk to people without them having a hard time hearing me and I get soooo frustrated and angry because of it. I have massive anxiety now because of this and now I avoid hair dressers etc because I know I have to talk to people and feel embarrassed from the other persons reaction. I look cool, but as soon as I speak, people realise theres something off about me. I come across as uninterested in things but I'm not, Its just my voice! People don't get it. I've been told that my tones off and I sound like a surfer. Words don't come out naturally, its like I have to push them out if you get me.

Sometimes I think its just a lazy habit of slurring my words thats just stuck after all those years of smoking weed. I don't know however I want this to be over.

I used to think- Aww well its fair enough, I can't get angry at the people if its my fault they can't understand me half the time, but now, because I've dealt with it for so long, everyday, I find myself snapping at people telling them to open their ears etc.

My Speech is the only symptom Ive experienced, nothing else, I can understand everyone and everything else is fine. My speech is the root cause of my anxiety and its the only thing holding me back. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar to this, Literally sudden on set upon waking one morning, the night before I was fine.

Please comment if you've encountered something similar, Im so done with this and need help.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. You should get to a psychiatrist , psychotherapist and a speech therapist. Weed is not a solution. It could be a personality disorder or a speech disorder . Needs work up to confirm.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.