Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

OCD developed after puberty?

Hi everyone,

I recently noticed that some mild OCD I developed before entering high school has gotten worse. While it used to be compulsive list-making about memories it has turned into touching things/thinking things/blinking/breathing/walking either two or four times. If I touch something on one side, I have to touch it on the other. Many rituals have to do with time, and sometimes if I'm reading a page it's more about completing a symmetry task than actually reading. Memories are "things" which can be visualized like I'm currently living in them. This gets worse during times of high stress.

My question is, why did this develop when I was fourteen? I was always a bit sensitive to certain sounds and dirty surfaces, but those mild obsessions are NOTHING like what I experience now. I assume that every ritual is a stress-relief technique and that since my mind is always racing, my brain feels a need to organize things. But I'm not an organized person, and when I'm feeling low, I almost never complete my work. I can obsess over certain past actions for hours and analyze situations to the point where I'm practically making up other people's reactions or pretending I'm inside their head.

Any advice? Thanks a ton.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 1st, 2013
Experienced User
My obsessions started a little earlier, when I was 11. I have never had compulsions except that sometimes I have the desire to touch certain things three times. I don't know if i can give you some advise but have you tried to visit psychologist?
|

replied September 1st, 2013
Experienced User
Age is usually not correlated to the development of OCD so I wouldn't place a lot thought into it. Just curious do you get any anxiety if you think about not doing anything symmetrically as you put it? or even if you focused about not writing your memories down? More over what are these events that cause high stress for you? I second the notion of seeing a psychologist, but there are a few tips I can give you if you want to give them a shot. That might be able to break through the compulsive behaviours.
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....