Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Obsessive thoughts, can't shut them off!

I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and if so, how do you deal with it? Looking for any suggestions that may help me quit obsessing on irrational thoughts.

For instance, my cat was very, very sick about 4 months back and I wasn't sure he would even make it. Thank goodness he did and he is just my baby. Everything was fine for a about 2 months and for some reason I noticed he was very lazy during the afternoon. Gee, a cat that sleeps during the day, go figure. For some reason I am terrified he will get sick again and I totally obsess on this fact. I don't get anything done, because I just keep checking on him, staring at him and I hate to leave the house because I think what if something happens and I am not here to take care of him.

I know that this is totally irrational and you just never know what life will bring from one day to the next and if he ever gets sick again it just is what it is. Even though I know this I can't quit obsessing and it is making me crazy, probably the cat too.

I know it will pass in a few weeks and then I will obsess on something else, finances, health issues, my kids, the dog, it is just ridiculous and I would love to know how to just shut it all of and relax.

Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....