Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Oblique spiral fracture 5 th metatarsal shaft

I broke the 5th metatarsal shaft ( easiest I can explain is the fracture goes from the NW corner to the SE corner) The displacement is minimal. ER put me in a half cast and I followed up with an orthopedic doctor a couple days later. He removed the cast and put me in a flat walking shoe, weight bearing as tolerated with frequent rest. He said to use the crutches as needed and follow up in 4 weeks to re X-ray. I felt like he wanted me to start walking on it so I did, with the shoe. Pain was okay for a few days but now 10 days post fracture I hurt and have started using the crutches again. Did I use it too fast? I didn't want to be wimpy, I guess he wasn't clear enough. The flat shoe also hurts me heel, I feel like its turning to mush.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
kek0348,

Since your fracture has a large amount of cancellous bone to heal back to, it should do fine.

The activity is as tolerated. So, you let pain be your guide. If it hurts, you need to back off some.

Also, you have to remember, that you do not damage just the bone, but all of the soft tissues surrounding the area of the fracture. Soft tissue also has to heal, and that usually takes around 6 weeks to do so, physiologically.

So, just let discomfort be your guide. If it hurts to do something, back off some.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: weight
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....