Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Obesity rate rising?

Is the obesity rate rising in the U.S.A. or in your country?

People say it is, but I don't really ever see people that are obese. Really?

Are there more obese people now than there were ten years ago?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I don't know the percentages, but yes, obesity is high particularly in the U.S.

Health experts are actually now considering obesity to be an epidemic in the U.S. Lot of fat kids around, and it isn't getting better with the fast food restaurants and the video games. Children need at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day.
|

replied May 16th, 2008
Currently, 64.5 percent of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, are overweight and 30.5 percent are obese. Severe obesity prevalence is now 4.7 percent, up from 2.9 percent reported in the 1988 - 1994 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

I think it's just going to get higher and higher.. there's nothing stopping it. You have people against it but you have alot more people that just don't care. "Let's go eat at McDonalds for breakfast since it's fast." Doughnuts.. whatever. There is so much good food that is bad for you in the US Smile .. Not a bad thing lol... For some numbers

Approximately 127 million adults in the U.S. are overweight, 60 million obese, and 9 million severely obese.

As of 2007 there were 301,139,947 people in the US...
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....