Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Obesity, pain, depression, and anxiety

User Profile
Hello, as of the last year, I have been very shut in with my lifestyle, I never go out, Im overweight, I dont eat health and Im very lazy.

For the last while Ive been getting aches all over my body, back of my head, arms, legs, chest, stomach. I fear about my medical condition because having Anxiety and Panic disorder ruined alot of my life, I had to leave high school because of the pressures causing panic attacks on a daily basis.

I feel upset and sad all the time, and most nights when laying in bed I get upset and feel that Ive wasted my life and Ill die unhappy and unfufilled one day because I missed out on the best times. I was wondering if these pains I feel are caused by my poor body condition and depression, and could be remedied by working out, losing wait and become more active?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Fitness Answer A3880
It is likely that all your pains are due to an anxiety and panic disorder. Anxiety, panic disorder and depression are often manifested with various sensations (including pain) that have no organic base. For now, the only organic disorder you have is overweight. Pains cannot be symptoms of overweight. Overweight and depression are mutually connected. Overweight can cause depression and anxiety because obese people are less attractive and that has very bad impact on self-confidence and all the psycho-emotional life. The opposite is also possible: depression and anxiety can increase the appetite and cause overweight.

It is likely that treatment for obesity can help you. But treatment should include not only diet and physical activity but also psycho-therapy.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fitness , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.