Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Numbness/tingling in hands & arms only while sleeping

Hey all,

The past few days I've woken up to one or both hands numb or tingling. It feels exactly like when you wake up with your hand or arm numb because you were sleeping directly on it, and you shake it out and it's back to normal after a minute or so. The first night I thought that's what it was and didn't think anything of it, that happens from time to time, but it's been like five nights in a row (and I'm not sleeping any differently than I've always been) and it happens in both hands even though the possibility of having lain on it funny only exists for one hand, and I'm really not pressing on that one, either. Actually much of my right forearm (the arm that I'm most likely to sleep on) feels numb and tingly while only my left hand feels it. Sometimes it's only there when I wake up in the morning, but the last couple of nights it also seemed to happen randomly in the middle of the night because I woke up at 3 or 4 in the morning to it and I think the paresthesia is what specifically woke me. And just like in a situation where you did just sleep on it funny, it goes away after a minute when I shake it out or flex it or whatever. Anyone ever have this? Where you have a weird tingling or numbness in one of your extremities that only happens when you're asleep, or lying down?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2014
Thank you for consulting e-healthforum. Most likely you have carpal tunnel syndrome. See a neurologist.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Multiple Sclerosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.