Hello. I am 49 year old woman. I am 5'2'' and weight is 100 pds. I have been experiencing a weird numbness and pressure in my head. It seems to happen more when I am in the sitting position. When I sit the pressure is very noticeable around my nose,and the area around my eyes is also numb. I thought maybe a sinus infection, however, my family practitioner is out of the office for 2 months and his on-call guy is booked. I also have high blood pressure(treated with Altenelol 25) and MVP. Additionally, I have severe right carpal tunnel and moderate in the left. Numbness and pain constantly in arms and hands to fingers. And chronic pain syndrome with fibromyalgia symptoms.

My last MRI non-contrast dated 7-31-2012 indicated the following:
-C3-4 subtle left paracentral disc osteophyte complex with mild left foraminal stenosis secondary to facet and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy.
-C4-5 subtle central disc osteophyte complex. Bilateral facet and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy without significant foraminal stenosis.
-C5-6 There is a small central disc osteophyte complex. Mild left-sided facet hypertrophy. Mild to space narrowing
-C6-7 There is a minimal disc osteophyte complex.al disc osteophyte complex.
-C7-T1 There is a small central disc osteophyte complex. No cord compression or canal stenosis.

*I know what none of the above means,by the way. My doctor has given me pain meds that I will not take. I have 2 young children and work 2 jobs. I feel there is more wrong than what my doctor knows and that pain meds and physical therapy is not the answer. Also, 3 different tries of physical therapy lasts about 2 months before the pain becomes too much afterwards and I have to stop going.

ANY thoughts would be so appreciated.

Thank you very much

Read more: Numbness/pressure in head - General Q and A Forum - eHealthForum http://ehealthforum.com/health/numbness-pr essure-in-head-t429244.html#ixzz2wS4PAJsv
Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile CarolineEF
|

replied March 19th, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
Hello,

I am sorry but I am no wiser about the report than you are. Those results need to be interpreted by a doctor and presented in the language a lay-person can understand. Why not try an on-line doctor?

My instinct is to suspect that those results are telling you your spine is showing signs of age-related wear that it wouldn't be cost-effective to treat, couldn't be treated effectively anyway except by an extended period of traction which western medicine no longer approves of because it isn't cost-effective and could create other problems and that what you really need is a different lifestyle where you don't have to work as long or as hard.
I apologise in advance if I am completely wrong.

My first thought about the pressure you complain of is sinus. I am wondering if you find any relief when your head is upside-down? I know it seems like a silly question but once struggling for relief I stretched out across three dining chairs placed side by side and allowed my head to hang unsupported where it could catch some direct heat from the fire. The relief was immediate.

Considering your age I am wondering whether you are having your menopause. If you are the change in hormone levels might cause you to be less tolerant to pain.

That is all I can think of right now. Sorry.
|

replied March 20th, 2014
Verne, my doctor didn't really explain all the results that well. I have already been through menopause( started 5 years ago). I have never tried the upside down head thing, but I will give it a try most definitely. My thought was that it was spinal because it is fine if I am
standing, and the pressure builds up when I am sitting...as if I am putting strain on something.

I am a single mom so a life style change where work is concerned is not an option right now. I had 3 jobs but cut it down to 2 when I found out I had high blood pressure.

I appreciate your post and thoughts and I will let you know if the upside down head trick works for meas well.

thank you
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2014
Community Volunteer
Hi Monica1965...I would have this checked out...This could be a heart problem...My best advice is to get a BP monitor and find out what your normal reading is...Then take it daily...See if you stay in the same range...One more thing cut back on your salt intate to less than 2,000 milligrams of salt...and don't overdo on the caffeine...

Hope this helps...Take care...

Caroline...
|

replied March 20th, 2014
Thanks Caroline. I do have a BP machine and check it many times a day. Often it is elevated however not very. Blood work shows everything is good... My doctor said that ALL of my numbers are near perfect. Also had a heart monitor and echo and ekg. I don't use a lot of salt either as I never really cared much for it. And I check the sodium content in everything I purchase. I am a coffee drinker,however, I have been trying hard to cut down since I developed HBP.

Thanks for your time
Monica
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2014
Community Volunteer
Hi again Monica: Check your BP only once a day at the same time...The more you check it the more you are stressing yourself...Relax when you do it...Think of something peaceful...Try and cut back on the caffeine to two cups of decaffeinated coffee per day...The best thing is to try not to worry about it...When you sit down and feel this pressure then go another way in your mind..Think of something pleasant...Occupy yourself and see if this helps...

Life is full of stresses...See your doctor when he gets back and try to relax...With Spring and Summer coming it will be a good time to enjoy the weather...My best to you...

Caroline...
|

replied March 22nd, 2014
Thanks CarolineEF. I will let you know what he finds when he comes back.
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....