Hi! I was wondering if someone could maybe help me out.
About 10 days ago, I had a fall. I was running up stairs and carrying some quite important experiments when I tripped over my own feet. In an effort to protect my samples, I didn't break my fall with my hands and landed full force on my knee on the metal lip of the stair. The resulting injury was quite small (only about half an inch), but quite deep and just under the tibial tuberosity. It bled so heavily that I considered going to get some steristrips put on it, but the bleeding stopped with pressure and now it is healing very nicely. The knee is not swollen or bruised (which is very odd.. I assumed I would have a real shiner!!!)
The problem is now I am completely numb in that area, not just over the cut, but all the skin right round the medial and lateral side of that knee, extending down to about 6 inches below the cut. I assumed that as the wound healed the feeling would come back, but the sensation hasn't changed at all. There is no paraesthesia or pain, just total numbness (to touch, heat and skin prick)..
It's very strange. Any words of wisdom would be very greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I would think that you may have hit a nerve...The only way you can find this out is to see a doctor...Good luck and I hope it heals well...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....