Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Numb pain and burning below right rib cage.

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....

I have this strange feeling below my right rib cage, like a dull pain, burning felling. It's like something is trapped or stuck and it is sore to touch. I first taught it was muscle pain but since I don't have any muscles thats doubtful! and it feels quite deep. I also get get pins and needles very easily. I suffer quite bad from depression and anxiety so this has me quite worried.
I've been trying to quit alcohol for the last few weeks because of the depression, but I have still been extremely low, I decided to meet back up with friends last night and try to have a good time which means drinking, Could these symptoms be from the alcohol?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2009
Everybody has muscle; and if you're joking that yours are deconditioned, then they are more likely to be pulled or sprained. A sprained muscle hurts more when you use it, so certain movements ought to make it worse. Alcohol can damage nerves and your pain might be a nerve not acting right. Other right upper quadrent pains can be from your gall bladder (usually episodic, associated with nausea, and often vary depending on what and how much you eat), liver (same story), colon (usually change with bowel movements and may move around along the course of the colon). Persistent abdominal pain, especially if associated with nausea or loss of appetite, should be evaluated by a physician.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pain Management , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.