I recently went into the doctor and asked about how I will sometimes get a feeling in my chest like my heart skips a beat/ has an extra beat. He ordered an ECG in the office and the machine diagnosed me with atrial fibrillation with a competing junctional pacemaker. He said that it was not right and diagnosed me with an NSR with PAC. When I looked at the ECG it looked fairly erratic so I asked to have a copy of the results so I could possibly get a second opinion. The measurement results are as follows. The doctor said that the machine was not picking up a P wave but he seemed to think there was still one there.

QRS 98ms
QT/QTcB 388/406 ms
PR (blank) ms
P (blank) ms
RP/PP 896/685 ms
P/QRS/T (blank)/54/40 degrees

I am slightly concerned that he is reading into it incorrectly as he is not a cardiologist. Any help/suggestions from any doctors would be greatly appreciated. I do have photos of the actual ECG if that would be helpful. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dorian_6_7

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2010
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. As there is no P wave, it is a clear cut indicator that you are suffering from atrial fibrillation. The cause of atrial fibrillation has to be looked for. it can occur because of hyperthyroidism, defect in the pacemaker of the heart(SA node). The treatment primarily consists of cardioversion( reversion to normal sinus rhythm). This can be done with the help of either drugs or a defibrillator.

I will suggest consulting a cardiologist and seeking his opinion.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.