Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

noticed a bump after a trip to the orthodontist

User Profile
I have this bump under my jawline, it's like the size of bottle cap sorta. I've been looking through the internet and it said it was like a lymph node something like that.. But then my mom said it just has to do with the hot weather.. So idk.. I started noticing it after a couple of hours when I came back from the orthodontist.. and it's been a day and a half. It only hurts when I press on it and when I move my head a certain way.. And before it happened my neck was hurting. There's nothing else wrong or hurting... But I'm a bit worried cause idk what to do to make it go away and idk what it is..So help me out here..

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2014
TMJ Answer A48414
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

From the symptoms three possibilities are coming to my mind. They are:
1)It can be a swollen lymph node since you have a history of a recent visit to the orthodontist. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection.
2)Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material called sebum that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. It can regress in size when the sebum decreases. It can be a boil or an abscess also
3)Third possibility is of a stone in salivary gland.

You need certain investigations like blood count, sialography and ultrasound or CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis. Till then apply warm compresses on the lump as if it is a boil or a swollen lymph node, then it should regress in size with warm compresses.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our TMJ , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.