I cut my hand a few weeks ago, it went over my knuckle, between my fingers, and down my finger some. It was 10 stitches long and I got them out last week. The doctor added Steri-Strips and told me to keep them on for a week. He also commented that it looked like the doctor at the ER put the stitches in too tight, but also said I did not need to come back for a follow-up.

I took the strips off today (3 days longer than a week) and it does not look as healed up as I think it should be, but I also don't have any experience with that... maybe it is. My idea is that the tight stitches have made the skin overlap and therefore causing it to heal slower. There is still a visible crack that hasn't scabbed up yet and I am afraid to bend my finger because I think it might break open. When I bend it a little, the skin feels tight, so I am not forcing it.

I am just wondering if I should go back in and whether they are really going to be able to do anything about it. It hasn't been infected and I am trying to keep it clean, but also exposed to the air most of the day.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It takes weeks to months for the scar to disappear or become very faint. Don't let your hand immobile and fixed.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Recovery & Post-Op , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.