Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Not sleeping and stomach discomfort

User Profile
Hello
My daughter is 8 weeks / 5.1kg (at birth 2.9kg)
5 days out of 7 she sleeps not more than 1hr at a time (except during the night when she sleeps 5/6 hrs) and she shows clearly signs that she has milk coming back her throat. She does not spit-up every time she eats only let's say 1/2 times a day (does not vomit). she is also grunting very often (goat like sounds). she cries and shows discomfort almost all the time when she is awake. she has lets say maximum 2 hrs a day when she is awake and not crying or grunting.
i can also see that she gags (like silent reflux) sucking very heavily her pacifier as she would like to get more saliva to swallow.
the doctor gave us some powder to thicken her milk. It's been 3/4 weeks and she is still not well (doing slightly better I would say)
we also had an x ray done when she was 5weeks old showing no stomach or esophagus issues. How long should I wait and what else to do?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2009
Newborn Babies Answer A8073
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum

If your daughter has silent gag reflex, is not comfortable and does not sleep well, then she could be having lactose intolerance. You should test for lactose intolerance. If this is found to be the case, then changing to rice milk or peanut milk etc helps.

The other possibility is that she has gastric reflux. Burp her well after her milk feed, keeping her abdomen down on your shoulder and patting her back slowly with upward strokes. Make her sleep with pillows adjusted at around 30 degree angle (one pillow horizontally and the other vertically placed—like a T).

It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. If symptoms persist consult a pediatric gastroenterologist. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Newborn Babies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.