Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Not pregnant after 7 years

User Profile
i have a seven year old son and since i gave birth to him (seven years ago) i have not been on any birth control, and have had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and still have not got pregnant with a second child. i am worried that i may have fetility issues. i have given up drinking (alcohol, and even coffee) and i dont smoke. i dont have any stds and i am so tired of waiting and playing guessing games every month. could i have a problem?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2010
Fertility Answer A9508
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Yes, it is possible to have secondary infertility after having one child birth. This could be tubes getting blocked by any infection including fungal, genital tuberculosis, endometriosis, uterine fibroids and polyps and PCOS.

It could also be due to a low or poor sperm count or motility. Such tests are best done at an infertility clinic. Hence you need to go for an assessment there. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.