I don't have problems with weight loss and put on weight easily if i over eat...
I have lots of the other symptoms of coeliac such as reflux that is worse after eating bread cereals etc... I have had several bouts of anaemia; my vitamin B12 levels are low, my white cells and other markers for infection in my blood are raised. Do you think i could have coeliac even though i'm not skinny ??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 27th, 2010
yes you can have celiac if you're not skinny. I oh so inherited it from my loving grandmother haha, but not her fault. It's genetic in my family. But once again, you could possibly have celiac disease. If you eat gluten and basically get sick (stomach cramps, diarrhea, possible vomiting, etc.) then you probably have celiac disease. It has caused me to be an inemic but I take iron pills for that. If you want, you could get a biopsy done or blood test (but you gotta pay for the test) to make sure you have it. It doesn't matter if you're skinny or not. Celiac disease doesn't always cause weight loss, it can also cause weight gain. I've had it for three years now, I'm 18 and my weight hasn't changed a bit lol. I'm 5'6 and 145 pounds. I'm not skinny but I am a celiac haha, hopefully that helps you out
|

replied March 30th, 2010
Your weight status does not make you any more or less likely to have Celiac Disease. As was mentioned above, many people also experience weight gain as a result of the disease. The symptoms of gluten intolerance (Celiac is one FORM - among many - of gluten intolerances) are numerous and varied. In Dr. Stephen Wangen's book, "Healthier Without Wheat," he goes into extensive detail on the causes, symptoms, and treatments for gluten intolerances. In the book, he lists the most commonly seen conditions associated with gluten intolerance: diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, abdominal pain, headaches (including migraines), fatigue, muscle aches, joint pain, hypoglycemia, eczema, acne, mental fogginess, anemia (iron or B12 deficiency), frequent illness, itchy skin, low bone density. You mentioned having high white blood cell counts, which could also be likely tied to a gluten intolerance. Taken from "Healthier Without Wheat" (pg. 4Cool: "People with gluten intolerance sometimes have elevated eosinophils (a type of white blood cell) in the blood or have conditions such as eosinophilic esophagitis or eosoinophilic gastroenteritis." I would highly recommend checking out this book, as well as getting tested for a gluten intolerance.
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....