Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Non-stop anxiety for a week, I think there's something wrong

I'm so frustrated and feel so helpless. For around a year and a half I experienced true relief from my anxiety, hypochondria, and emetephobia (vomiting phobia). But upon the sudden death of a neighbor and the suicide of a friend, my anxiety has skyrocketed.

Since last Sunday, I was extremely stressed about an event on Wednesday/Thursday. VERY real nausea, feeling like I was going to gag (didn't), very tight throat, generally just feeling like I have the flu. The difference between this time and normal times is that it didn't go away and I couldn't relax. The event came and gone and I'm still feeling like this. I have yet to feel relaxed once. I'm sleeping around 3 broken hours a night and I feel so ill. I'm having issues eating and drinking because of the choking feeling in my throat. Last night I couldn't sleep from what I think was post nasal drip and I still feel so ill because I heard people can throw up from PND almost uncontrollably which terrified me. My throat and nose still feel raw

I've also had diarrhea on and off for two days now.

I'm getting into an awful cycle; I feel sick, I can't eat/drink/sleep, I worry about how not eating/drinking/sleeping will actually make me sick, I get convinced that I'm ill, repeat.

My body and mind are exhausted and overwhelmed. I feel so awful. I think my major issue is that I haven't felt any relief and I'm therefore terrified that I will get no relief or that something is seriously wrong with me. I keep waiting for myself to throw up but I never do. I'm just convinced that it's going to happen. I'm scared of landing at the doctor, in urgent care, etc.

I've tried allergy meds and anti nausea meds, neither have provided relief. I have been popping ginger candies and gum as well as drinking green tea like it's nobodies business. This is really torture.

I've read stuff online about people throwing up from anxiety or having other scary things happen to them as a result so now I'm scared it'll happen to me although I've never thrown up from anxiety.

Normally I would've relaxed at least a little bit by now.. that's why I'm concerned that something is wrong.

I'd really appreciate any advice, guidance, or reassurance.

Thanks in advance Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You would need psychotherapy sessions like CBT besides medications to combat this problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.