Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

No Sense of Smell & Taste for 2 Years Alongside Sinusitis

I am in the UK. I lost my sense of smell and taste in March 2017, the week following my mother's death. It has not returned. In the following October, I began to get infections, which again, are recurrent to this day. In January 2018 I saw an ENT consultant regarding my loss of smell/taste. He sent me for a sinus scan, resulting in a diagnosis of sinusitis. From then to now, I have never had a blocked nose, or anything I have read is a symptom of sinusitis. He informed me that the loss of smell/taste was a separate issue, and was related to stress. He claimed that if someone lost their smell and taste for more than 1 year, in his experience, they didn't regain it. I'm not comfortable with him saying that.
Prior to 2016, I was someone who never suffered from colds/infections/coughs, anything like that.
The reason I am writing this, is since the diagnosis of sinusitis, I live with thickened clear to cloudy "saliva" in the throat. I awake several times overnight, "snorting" "grunting", and feeling this thick liquid dripping down my throat. I already have chronic insomnia, and this has exacerbated the issue over the past year. I can no longer sleep on my back, but it is happening when I sleep on either side now. If I lean forward (sometimes) the opposite happens.A thin, clear liquid runs out of my nose, as opposed to a thicker substance. I am becoming increasingly anxious about this, as it is worsening, and my gp is dismissing it as "postnasal drip" without further investigation.
The consultant prescribed a nasal spray for sinusitis, as the sprays prescribed by the gp had not helped. He said he would not suggest surgery for sinusitis, as it would not guarantee the return of my smell and taste. I didn't understand this, as he had previously said the two conditions were unrelated. P lease can someone advise me. The consultant I saw, although in a private hospital, was through the NHS. An NHS clinic at the end of his private clinic. I had 3 appointments, 2 of which were 2 minutes long.Would really appreciate some help. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.Chronic sinusitis could lead to transient loss of smell and taste. However persistent loss and symptoms of sunusitis if not responding to supportive therapy then intervention must be needed. Let your otolaryngologist decide what is best for you.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.