Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

no matter what I eat, I get really sleepy afterwards.

User Profile
I'm a 45 year old male, a heavy smoker for years, but lately it seems that no matter what I eat, I get really sleepy afterwards. At first I thought it was just because it was a big and heavy meal, but lately I have noticed even if I eat a few crackers,a slice or two of bread, anything, within minutes I can't hardly keep my eyes open,and have to lay on the couch for an hour or more. What could be the cause of this?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2012
Nutrition Answer A39325
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Increased sleep can be due to various causes as sleep apnoea(disturbed sleep pattern due to breathing issues), sleep disorders as snoring, medications(taking if any), depression, anxiety, deranged thyroid levels, increased tobacco or alcohol intake etc.
It requires a proper physical examination to comment regarding the exact cause.
Some suggestions for you:
1)Exercise daily as it improves sleeping pattern.

2)Have healthy balanced diet.

3)Go to bed at the same time daily.

4)Maintain temperature in the room and avoid extreme variations.

5)Restrict smoking.

6)Avoid stress and go to bed relaxed.

If the symptoms persist consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Nutrition , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.