Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

no emotional feelings, its as if my brain is dead !

User Profile
now..my condition is such that i don\\\\\\\'t have a connection with my mind body soul, like no emotional feelings, its as if my brain is dead weight and i can\\\\\\\'t live normally..feel normally. It feels like the neurons and everything in my brain is blasted...i feel social anxiety sometimes, and feel anxiety from stressful situations where people ask me personal questions..I \\\\\\\'ve had issues with high expectations and not being able to meet them, and had some childhood-family love problems, as I had lived away from my family for a long time, even though we would talk and stay in contact often, and visit every year..It\\\\\\\'s still not the same as living with them. And I\\\\\\\'ve had some painful/trust and other issues with my past friends, which led me to isolate myself from people for a long time. Right now, like I said, my brain is fried, I feel suicidal at times, and anxious and stressed.my brain is the biggest concern as it feels dead weight making me unabletofeel ande

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A20849
Hello.

From your description of your symptoms, it seems your depression and anxiety are not being treated effectively with the medication you are taking. As the first step, you may consider talking with your prescribing doctor about this and asking for more treatment options.

It is a good sign that you are aware of the issues you are having or had in the past. That makes the problems more specific to work on. What you need is a structured way of dealing with those problems and issues, preferably with the help of a trained psychotherapist. You may consider Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy or Cognitive Behavior Therapy as your therapy options, as they help you identify your thoughts and beliefs which cause the problem, modify them and use them in day to day life, so that you are able to life your life with minimal emotional disturbances.

It appears that you might have to work on the issues related to expectations of the society, the need for trust and reciprocation of love in relationships and a possibly a few more. Therapy will help you take these issues one by one and find out how you can identify the underlying thoughts and beliefs you have about events and incidences in your life, and modify them so that you do not get so much disturbed. When you say "trust issues with past friends led me to isolate myself from people", you are actually putting the blame on something you cannot change. You might not be able to change how people talk with you or respond to you, or what they think about you. And so, saying that due to others' unwanted response, you are isolating yourself, will be like giving away all the freedom to something outside of you. But in reality, what you can find out through therapy is that you really have a choice. You have a choice of how you want to feel about a certain situation. And you have a choice of not letting "the outside" make any judgement about you. In short, you have your freedom and you can use it.

Medicines will help you control the symptoms but may not help you all the way. Working on your issues in a structured way can give you a lifelong benefit. Please consider therapy if you haven’t tried it already.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you think.

Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.