Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
Hi! I'm 33 years old and have been experiencing peri-menopausal symptoms for several years. The most disconcerting symptom that I've been experiencing is a sticky greenish/blueish colored discharge from my right breast. When I first discovered this in July of last year, I went to several different specialists and endured a mammogram, as well as an extremely painful proceudre in which liquid was injected into the nipple and then I had to endure yet another mammogram. The Dr's found nothing abnormal, but did say that my breasts appeared to be the breasts of a 62 year old woman. Thrilling! My question is this. How long should this discharge last? I've now had this discharge for 15 months. This seems long to me? I have read different posts and sites that say nipple discharge can be a normal part of menopause, but how long should it last? Should I be concerned? Should I revisit the Dr? I haven't found or spoken to another woman who has experienced anything like this and would love to hear from someone who has some input or advice! Thanks so much!
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2010
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The nipple discharge that you are describing suggests possibility of anaerobic infection. Visit your gynecologist and request for a culture sensitivity tests to be prescribed for the nipple discharge to identify the organism. Discuss about older appearance of the breast (of a 60+ old lady) with an oncologist, you might get to some clue of what is happening. Take all your previous reports along with the culture sensitivity report of the nipple discharge, for discussion with the Oncologist. Try and get tumor marker tests done by your gynecologist to identify chances of breast cancer.
Take care.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menopause , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.