Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Nightmares causing PTSD ?

User Profile
(Post traumatic Stress disorder)
I'm worried about my room mate , Who woke up screaming and crying one night.
Since then, She's slowly and randomly been reliving her dream, which she couldn't remember when she woke up. She hasn't been able to finish anything she starts (the dishes, her knitting project, drawings) and she is completely void of emotion since her last episode. She sleeps mostly during the day, and won't leave the house for anything social. She's usually spacey, but lately she's jumped at every creak in out floorboards. She refuses to talk about it with me, except for the days I come home and she's gone through an episode.

She's very close to her mother, but I think her mother always put too much pressure on her to get good grades. She was screaming "Mom" the night she woke up. She says her dream is confusing, and that it has something to do with her mother and father being killed, or murdering each other.

She says she hasn't experience night terrors before, and that she didn't have them as a child. She's Iatrophobic and even calling a doctor or therapist would be followed by shaking and crying. (Why I'm doing this)

Other than her Phobia and this issue, she's usually very happy and social, but she tends to over think things, and stresses easily, which is why I'm so hesitant to say she's experiencing PTSD, except for the flashbacks.

Any idea?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
Supporter
It would probably be good for her to see a therapist who can help her work out her fears and anxiety. You sound like a good friend and I would advise you to suggest this to her. Sometimes just talking to a professional about your fears can be very helpful.
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
I have, it was the first thing I mentioned when I realized it wasn't going away. She refused.
|

replied August 27th, 2009
did something happen in real life with her parents being murdered? if not, then the nightmare she has sounds rather random
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2009
Nightmares aren't usually planned, they're usually random.
And no, her parents are alive and healthy and aren't informed of this situation.
|

replied September 17th, 2009
I would suggest meditation, yoga, sound oasis sound therapy. Anything relaxing. It sounds like there is probably more to it than night terrors. I have had some that have been very real and have stayed with me for awhile but they don't affect my daily life, they just give me the shivers every now and again. If she won't go get help, I don't know that there is much that you can do.
Good Luck
Lex
|