Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Nightmares and Teeth Clenching

Hello! For the past 3 days, I have been having really bad nightmares. I wake up and my jaw feels sore and my right arm feels like it has been flexed for a long time. I just get about 45 mins to 1 hour of sleep and then I wake up. It takes a long time for me to fall asleep again only for the cycle to repeat.

This has been going on and off for the past couple of months and I'm getting concerned with the frequency. I've thought about sleeping pills, but I'm not sure if I should use it.

I hope you can give me some advice. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2012
Hello Get380Healthy, I'm late to the party on this one so I hope you've got the problem sorted by now.
Nightmares and teeth clenching or teeth grinding are often symptoms of stress. Have you had a lot of worries?
There are natural ways of reducing stress (yoga, meditation, keeping a journal etc)as well as short term sleeping pills but these won't get to the root of the problem.
If teeth grinding (called bruxism) becomes a long term problem and starts to damage your teeth, see your dentist to ask for a tooth guard to wear at night to protect them.
|
Did you find this post helpful?