User Profile
Hello everyone! I really need some help on an issue I've been having lately. Recently I've been waking up in the middle of the night screaming at the top of my lungs 'cause I feel like there's a presence in my room, more specifically a human figure standing by my bed starring at me. So of course my first reaction is to scream. I fall back to sleep afterwards. The last time this happened I woke my family up and I was so scared that I waited till it was dawn so I could go back to sleep 'cause I thought the minute I close my eyes the figure will reappear. Please help me understand what's going on, if you can. Thank you so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2009
Based on what you described, you may be experiencing night terrors. Night terrors are typically seen in children and are characterized by frequent repeated episodes of crying and fear while asleep. It may be difficult for someone to wake you during a night terror as well. Night terrors can be caused by stress, fever, sleep deprivation, and some medications. You may want to see your doctor and get a referral for a sleep study to figure out what is happening. In addition, if you have been going through an intense amount of stress, aside from feeling sleep-deprived, you may want to see a therapist to find ways to manage your stress better. Medications and a sleep routine (called sleep hygiene) may also be prescribed for you by your doctor.

|

User Profile
replied September 2nd, 2009
Thank you! I went to see my doctor today and he prescribed a sleeping medication and he told me that STRESS is the REASON. I try not to stress out so much but how much can a person take, you know? I'm gonna try harder to be less stressed and more zen. Smile
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
The problem is that most doctors prescribe medicine, and to be honest with you, i dont think the answer here is sleeping medication. They are addictive, and only mask the problem, as do anti-depressants. Personally i would try therapy rather thn pills.
For how long has this problem been going on? it could be a hormone imbalance, it could be stress related, or
it could be a ghost, if u believe in that kind of stuff.
What ever the reason, it will probably just pass, without the need of sleeping medication.
hope this helps, and good luck.
|

replied September 8th, 2009
children terrors
what would you suggest for a nine year old with a stable sleep schedule/ no worries or stress???
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2009
stay with them throughout the night, until they grow out of it.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.