Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

New white spot on chest - Should I be concerned?

Should I be concerned/could this be cancerous?
Yes
No
Too hard to tell
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
There is a white spot on my chest that has recently appeared. It is about the size of a pencil eraser and pretty rounded.

I have done research online on skin cancer and also vitiligo. My father had skin cancer in the form of a raised mole and my grandfather has vitiligo.
So in reality for me, the spot could be either. Or maybe nothing to worry about at all. After looking at several different pictures of basil cell carcinoma and other skin cancers that it could possibly be, I personally don't believe it's cancerous. This is when I turned to the idea of vitiligo because I realized it runs in the family. Not sure if this is related at all. Through other research I've found that tinea versicolor is also a possibility. This, more than anything else seems to match up very well with the symptoms.

I don't know how to describe it other than it about the size of a pencil eraser, is a white color and looks mostly round, and it is not raised what so ever and does not feel any different than the rest of my skin. It doesn't hurt or crust or bleed or anything like I've read about skin cancer.

I was wondering if there was any incite. The spots around it are just freckles or common moles that I've always had.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 21st, 2010
little white spot
I have the same exact thing - just got it recently center of chest. i did get a dark tan recently and then this white little circle appeared a few weeks later. same description as yours. Does not hurt, flat, not raised. Just looks odd. dont know what it is.
C-
|

replied September 19th, 2011
There is a fungus that shows up after tanning.
|
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....