Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

New to working out, need to increase muscle mass

User Profile
Hey. I'm 19 years old and tired of my 16 BMI and being in the 1 percentile of people my age being 110 pounds. I quit smoking 2 weeks ago because I notice when I quit, I'm more hungry. I also notice my forearms get bigger and my body goes into what feels like (and what I call) "repair mode" even without working out after I sleep and wake up I feel muscular pain as if I been working out the day before meanwhile I havent. Whout working out I notice my skin tone is deeper, my acne goes away, and I'm more energetic.

I'm far from being a pro at workout out. I need some advice on what to start out with. I don't want to work out too hard and burn too many calories. From experimentation I need to consume 3800 to 4200 calories per day to gain as much as 1-2 pounds a week. I used to workout without eating right, and I assume I burned too many calories and I simply lost weight.

What exercises should I be doing to first train my muscles before getting into heavy weight lifting? I am mainly concentrating on cardio. I quit smoking and I want to increase my lung capacity. I know from experience its way easier to workout with weights and freehand workouts after I spend some time doing cardio to get my lungs in proper order.

This is what I'm currently doing for workouts which I do all at the park

A light 15 minute jog through the paths
3 sets of 6 pullups at a tree that makes for a nice pullup bar
3 sets of 20 push ups
3 sets of 30 tricep dips
3 sets of 50 sit ups
3 sets of 50 squats

I don't do these all on the same day. Only 3 days of the week I go take a jog, this is also when I do pullups, pushups, tricep dips and squats. Other days I've been doing weight lifting but I recent quit those. Im only trying to do freehand workouts right now because I don't have the muscle to have proper form with weights.

I am having pretty damn good success with my nature-style workout. Before I could only manage to jog for 20 second intervals without wanting to die. I can now jog for a continuous 34 seconds before having to slow down or stop completly. 1 week ago I could only manage to do 2 sets of 4 pullups I am now able to do 3 sets of 6, sometimes I get an extra 1 pullup for 7 total. I've managed to go from 12 tricep dips to 30, went from 22 sit ups to 50 and 30 squats to 50. I'm amazed at how quickly I was able to do more so easily. I actually FEEL my muscles working and I have more control when I'm doing pull/push ups. I can actually push/pull myself down and up slowly using muscle to really feel them burn. Another fantastic thing is how I went from being so week maxing out at 12 push ups to 25 in as little as a week. Sometimes I manage 30 if I ate properly that day.

I always been a skinny kid since I was born, but I guess since I have had horrible nutrition and been abusing drugs way too often since I was 13 I will see very quick results once I properly eat and workout right. I've been told since I'm a skinny guy I should blow up pretty quick.

Right now I only supplament Muscle milk powder. I also take a couple servings of chai seeds throughout the day for the extra protein and omega 3s. I've been thinking about adding Serious Mass to the mix only for the calories but I think I'd rather stick to muscle milk and instead of serious mass for calories, I will just eat peanutbutter as a snack 2x a day since its so high in calories that will give me an extra 500 calories per day.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....