Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

New relationship with a recovering alcoholic

I've been dating a recovering alcoholic for 2 months. I met her in my old job and we fell in love at first sight. I found out she was a recovering alcoholic after about 4 days of going on dates with her, she told me everything and it was hard at first but I have accepted her for who she is. I started a job at the same time we met and it's a bit stressful. Recently I have been suffering from anxiety. Combined with my new relationship it's very hard and makes me sad sometimes. I love this girl to bits, we plan on getting married, kids, the whole kit and kaboodle. We've just moved in together too. I know it's very soon but it feels so right. We are so in love with each other.
It all sounds great so far but I am constantly worried that she will someday drink and take some steps backwards. She checked herself into hospital in April to detox and had been trying to stay sober ever since. She's had a couple of blips but nothing too much. I'm just worried I might get pushed away and we won't have our dream future together. Sometimes I feel I am not strong enough to cope with all of this. That's why I believe I have been feeling so down. I haven't been myself for a few months now. I just don't want to lose her and I really believe she is 'the one' for me. Any help anyone? Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2016
Experienced User
samjamie16, I can understand your feelings for her. I've also met with a girl two years ago, she is also recovering alcoholic. I really love her a lot and married as well. The backwards steps you mentioned, it will happen for sure at sometimes, but you've to be very strong to manage such conditions.
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2016
Have you ever asked her, why she started drinking first time? If you know the reason of her alcoholism it will be easier for you to understand, can you manage possible situations in the future or not. And wait at least one year before getting married. You are living together already so you don't need to hurry with marriage. Now you are so much in love with each other, give enough time to your relationship for knowing each other.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....