Medical Questions > Cancer > Prostate Cancer Forum

new prostate diagnosis

Hi;
My father just got diagnosed. This was not found on DRE. His PSA last year was 2 something and this year it was 5.46. His biopsy showed cancer in 5 of the 12 cores. He had 3 that were 3+4=7, 1 that was 4+5=9 and 1 that was 4+3=7. His bone scan was ok. His CT scan showed a 1.4 cm hypodensity on left lobe of liver, several 5mm hypodensities on right lobe of liver, a mass 2.8 x 2.6 cm on right adrenal gland, nodules on left adrenal gland and multiple hypodensities in kidneys. it says that some of the hypodensities in the kidneys are too dense to be just simple cysts.

Any information that you could offer would be a great help. I am an only child and my mother has been gone for several years after a long battle with breast cancer. I told my father I would find out all I could.

Thanks for your help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
There is no specific normal or abnormal PSA level, but, rising PSAs over time rather than a single elevated PSA, is a sign that prostate cancer needs to be taken in consideration more seriously.
PSA levels of 5.46 are translated as slightly to moderately elevated.
Biopsy results with score 7 are known as moderately-differentiated or intermediate-grade of prostate cancers.
Score 9 means poorly-differentiated or high-grade prostate cancer.
Liver, bones, lungs are usual sites for prostate metastases.
Having metastases at any of these places, makes defining prostate cancer as a stage 4 that is advance one.
Hypodense lesions on liver CT can be cysts, hemangiomas (benign tumors), or metastases.
Small, sharply defined and hypodense lesions are mostly benign.

Was your father made some tests for systemic infections?
|

replied October 27th, 2008
This is all of the information that I have so far. I am supposed to speak with the docotr (urologist) tomorrow. I didn't understand your last question; are you asking if my father had any other tests? The above info is all they have done so far. Can you tell me anything about what the adrenal gland or kidney ifno might mean. Is there any other test I should be asking for? Does this mean that he might need a liver biopsy?

Thanks for any information you can give.
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I was asking if he was suspected for some infection, too, cause hypodense lesions found at few organs at the same time can be due to some infection, too, or they can be suspected for tumors or metastases.
Simple cyst seen at kidneys are usually benign, but, complex ones are usually suspected for cancer.
Liver biopsy can give an answer.
|

replied October 29th, 2008
No they don't suspect infection. They are recommending robotic removal of prostrate. As for the CT scan they said they want to watch and repeat scan in six months. I don't necessarily agree. I would like to see them do a liver biopsy but they said the lesion is still small and there is no need to o that yet since he really isn't showing any symptoms.
What do you think?
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I guess you'll need to agree with them, cause they see and understand the scan.

Waiting for new informations!
|

replied August 24th, 2009
I had pre-cancer cells in my prostate that I reveresed using nutrition and "exercises". My PSA went from 3.8 to 1.8 in 60 days and my urologist says I have a very healthy prostate now. check out my protocol: cancerprostatehealth.con
|
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....