Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Nerve pain and muscle spasms all over - What's wrong with me?

Looking for any information that may lead to a diagnosis or treatment:

Over the past 16 months the patient has experienced a range of neuromuscular symptoms and injuries across the body. Nerve pain has occurred in all four limbs, more significant in the left leg and arm. Muscular spasms have occurred in the left calf, left hamstring, left quad, right foot, lumbar back and the neck. Certain injuries or symptoms have resolved, while many remain ongoing. The majority of the symptoms have begun without a clear cause other than too much activity. MRI testing of the head, neck and spine have been unrevealing. Blood tests have been unrevealing. EMG of the left leg has demonstrated nerve damage. The patient’s functional limitations average around 5000 steps per day, with a maximum walking or standing endurance of 15-20 minutes, and overall arm use/movement at approximately 30% of normal. Pain levels fluctuate largely from 2-7/10 depending on activity. Physiotherapy has helped the patient regain some function and reduce some pain, but not addressed the overarching problem. Mental health symptoms include significant anxiety, mild depression and difficulty sleeping. At this time the doctors, including a general practitioner, a rheumatologist and a neurologist, are unsure of a diagnosis, prognosis or treatment plan moving forward. Neurontin has not had any positive effect.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Severe depression and early motor neuron disease are possible differentials. A trial of antidepressant and psychotherapy can be tried.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.