Hi. My brother is about 26 years old, he has never been eager to pick up a toothbrush. That's an understatement. He has very poorly kept up with his dental hygiene. Over the years of neglecting his teeth, he barely brushed or flossed at all.

His teeth have become very yellow, obviously. I wouldn't feel so bad for him enough to come post here except something has disturbed me about his teeth even more than usual. Some parts of his teeth are turning black. Large spots that trail almost all the way to his gums (or possibly even onto his gums).

I'm very worried about him and have tried to convince him to take better care of his teeth. He hasn't really been too worried about his teeth until these black spots have showed up. Now he is embarassed and just wants to get them fixed, yet I don't know if that's a possibility anymore. He has put himself in a rough position. Recently quit his job that supplied dental benefits, he cannot even go see a dentist to see how serious this is.

Can someone please help me out and tell me what this could be and how serious of a condition this is and if there is any possibility of halting this decay or whatever it is and what kind of treatment there could be out there for him?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Killiane
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
he needs to get into a doctor and get some restoration done. it can be made to look better--honestly he could loose his teeth if he doenst act now---if you need a recommendation for a good dentist let me know i know dentists all over the place
|

replied July 31st, 2008
Experienced User
While your brother is waiting to see the dentist (yes, he should go, and it will be expensive), if he doesn't mind taking capsules (or even if he does), get him some Quercetin and Bromelain (anti-bacterial and anti-inflammation) and vitamin C. These are very healing and reduce pain and swelling.
Also you might research "oil pulling" if he will swish a little sesame oil in his mouth. This removes toxins and whitens teeth. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to soon. I think it has to be unrefined organic sesame oil. Not sure. I need to do more research on this.
Hope your brother will go along with whatever will be best for him. Good luck!
|

replied November 20th, 2012
oral hygiene with probiotics
I have seen some research that probiotics using topical bacteria with the strain bacilus subtilus are good for gum disease and the bacteria actively consume calculus and can even whiten teeth and dentures. These are not your basic yogurt probiotics but there are good sources. The mouth has more variety of bacteria that anywhere else in the body so adding lots of good bacteria can have a dramatic effect.
|

replied October 22nd, 2013
All that he needs to do is go to a dentist and get his teeth fixed.He can get the cleaning done and also may need to get some restoration done as he has been unhygienic for a number of years.He needs to get the gums treated and other oral problems that he might be facing.
|

replied February 18th, 2014
Hi Killiane,
You need to educate your brother about dental health. Dental health may lead to other health issues, including, heart, brain, kidney disease, facial pain etc. Since your brother has been dealing with a poor oral hygiene for many years. I am sure he must need a dentist. He needs to get his gums treated, if condition is not too worst then dentist can recommend him cosmetic bonding or veneers to fix chipped teeth.

There are many advance treatments available nowadays. I am sure he would maintain a good oral hygiene by following some regular oral care tips.
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....