Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Wound Care Forum

Needle method for splinter or go to the doctor to remove.

I have splinter lodge in my foot its from a wood deck. Unfortunately, it was too deep for me to initially remove it. I have tried Epsom salt to try and draw it out. However, that didn't work Sad . So I went to plan b and prayed it worked. 1 and 1/2 week later still hasn't poke its head out. So I am wonder should I go for the needle method which is unfortunately at a kinda weird angle for me to do or should I go to the doctor. Which would be kinda embarrassing since its not infected or anything or even painful or am I even waiting long enough for this bugger to come out?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Pipsy
|

replied October 11th, 2013
If it doesn't hurt, waiting sounds better than going to the doctor, unless you were going to go for a check-up, anyway.

A possibility that I thought of for splinters that have gotten into my fingers, and I seem to recall as actually having worked at least once, is to use a pair of hemostats. Open the jaws of them slightly and then push them against the skin so that the splinter begins to get pushed by the skin so that it protrudes slightly into the gap between the serrated jaws of the hemostats. Then close the jaws to grasp onto the splinter, and if they can grip it, try pulling it out.
|
Users who thank Monul for this post: Pipsy 

replied October 12th, 2013
Experienced User
Yea, it ended up being I did get it out while at a check-up. The doctor just lol'd at me and got it out. ha ha ha. But the hemostat idea is a pretty good idea that I will have to remember.

Thanks
|
Users who thank Pipsy for this post: Monul 

replied October 13th, 2013
You're welcome. Thank you
|
Tags: infected, angle, head
Quick Reply